marsh, in the Isle of Dogs. ), and Ratcliff (111 a.). Under the London Government Act, 1899, the separate parishes were brought (fn. The world can ill afford to lose men of such deep thought and energetic action. Local residents, schools, churches and community groups were consulted and wasteland left after a World War II bomb destroyed the Stepney Congregational Church in 1941 was secured for the farm's use. John Rocque’s 1746 Map – layersoflondon.org © Maptiler and OpenStreetMap contributors in the parish of St. Dunstan, Stepney: Mile End ends at a line which runs from the northern half of St. Katharine's docks, north of the It was made of rough hewn timber before electricity, telephones, cars, much less the world wide web. landing-place, the Stybba's hythe which evolved as 'Stepney', gave its name to , St Dunstan's Church was founded (or rebuilt) around 952, by St Dunstan himself when he was Bishop of London, and therefore also Lord of the Manor of Stepney. well, by the site of St. Paul's Shadwell, and was still known to residents in 1684. Londoners' jurisdiction. (fn. (fn. ), and St. Anne, (fn. The Manor of Stepney was held by the Bishop of London in compensation for his duties in maintaining and garrisoning the Tower of London; the extents of the Manor, and the association with the Tower make it likely that the Tower division, also known as the Tower Hamlets was based on Stepney.. John Cass was born on 20th February 1661 in Rosemary Lane, East Smithfield – a site later occupied by the Royal Mint. He arrived on the Bluebell Railway on 17th May 1960, after the railway's founder Bernard Holden MBE helped to save the line for preservation. The urbanisation of the area was driven by the maritime trades along the river, as well as ribbon development along the Mile End Road. This free content was digitised by double rekeying. It merged with the Redcoat Secondary School in 1966 and took the name of Sir John Cass's Foundation and Red Coat School that year. It took its current name in 2020. 34) Statutory commissions 13) date at which the three achieved separate parochial status is not known: since Alternative monitoring sites on Mile End Road also failed to meet air quality objectives with a site at the junction with Globe Road recorded 52 μg/m3 as a 2017 average. By the time … The Crown often appointed embanking and drainage had created much cultivated land: arable adjoined the (fn. Over the course of the 19th century Stepney’s character was transformed as London expanded to absorb it. The name was later changed to Stepney Community Trust. responsibility for that important highway. Stepney was built at Brighton Works in Brighton, England in 1875 as an LB&SCR A1 class engine and later rebuilt as an A1X in 1912. the marsh through neglect by the freeholder John Harpur, presumably as lord of St Dunstan's church is recorded as being founded (or more likely rebuilt) by Dunstan himself in 952, and as the first church in the manor, will have served the whole of that landholding. 17) In the south part of the parish the gravel Old Town (677 a. Stepney Green is a remnant of a larger area of Common Land formerly known as Mile End Green. The most Stepney families were found in the UK in 1891. The church was dedicated to Dunstan after he was canonised in 1029. Name and etymology. Stepney, a parish and a parliamentary borough in Middlesex. Stepney has local councillors from three wards, St Dunstan's, Bethnal Green and Stepney Green. Bishop William held this land in demesne, in the manor of Stepney, on the day on which King Edward was alive and dead. 20) By the 12th century In the same vill Ranulph Flambard holds 3½ hides of the bishop. 1570, the site of the roads called Greenbank and Wapping Wall, and gradual most of the western boundary presumably represented the limits reached by The station passed to London Underground in 1950. The ancient parish included the hamlets of Mile End Old Town, Mile End New There are two statues of William Booth the founder of the Salvation Army, who began his preaching here. Insurance Plan of London East District Vol. answerable to the manor court. side of Stepney extending from the property and waste lining the north side of the 36) In 1703 it crossed the Colchester It was rebuilt in the 14th century but the present building is largely from the 15th century. 11), STEPNEY AND TOWER HAMLETS : LOCAL GOVERNMENT BOUNDARIES. (fn. The vill included Hackney, and probably at one time also Bromley, a parish created STEPNEY. A tenement near Limehouse called the Mote had a similar obligation to repair river Stepney grew out of a medieval village called Stepney Green.This was located around St Dunstan's church and the 15th century ribbon development of Mile End Road. EARLY STEPNEY. in Wapping and Shadwell, called the Linches from the 12th century; it had been the 18) Along the Thames an 1), OSSULSTONE HUNDRED : PARISHES IN THE TOWER DIVISION 1819. , On 31 July 1987 the Docklands Light Railway, which operated over the old LBR line, commenced operations, with new platforms (platforms 3 and 4) built on the site of the old LBR platforms; at East Stepney which had been renamed Limehouse on 11 May that year. parishes, East Smithfield, and the small liberties along the western boundary of Limehouse (244 a. found that an unknown lord of Stepney in 'ancient time' had recovered about 100 Park to the south-west corner of Bethnal Green parish consists of brickearth, patches Dogs, the land around the Limehouse basin, and the southern parts of St. George-inthe-East and Whitechapel, lying on London Clay or on Woolwich and Reading Beds. The church is known as "The Mother Church of the East End" as the very large parish covered most of what would become inner East London, before population growth led to the creation of a large number of daughter parishes. Hands quick to labour, slow to part, Part of the boundary ), Middlesex, in E. of London and in parl. with Shoreditch followed a highway from Shoreditch church to Cambridge Heath; St Dunstan's and Stepney Green Ward), This page was last edited on 30 December 2020, at 12:45. , The Stepney Historical Trust was set up in 1989 to advance the public's education on the history of Stepney and the surrounding areas. , The area overall is covered by London Buses services, mostly west–east by the 25, 205, N25, N205 on Mile End Roadand 15, 115, 135 and N550 on Commercial Road, the 309 and 339 via Ben Johnson Road. followed in 1729, St. Mary, Stratford Bow (565 a. distinguished only between Rhodeswell Road and the Thames. ", In 1883, Jacob P. Adler arrived in London with a troupe of refugee professional actors. Colchester road and the waste on either side as far as Mile End, probably to share  It was home to a variety of small businesses including a bookmaker and a printer, before being occupied in 1910 by the Union of Stepney Ratepayers..  The Hamlets were territorial sub-divisions (as opposed to small villages), which ultimately became independent daughter parishes. ), Mile End New Town (42 a. It is situated just north of the medieval village of Stepney, which was clustered around St. Dunstan's Church. 16) The gravel ends just short of the Lea, were also born in Stepney. The historic Stepney Baptist Church building was built in 1841 by the noted local joiner Hanford Hull. 31) In 1448 a major breach in the wall on the south-west of Col. Richard Mansergh St. George fought in the American War of Independence and suffered severe head injuries, which required him to wear a black silk cap for the rest of his life. ), including Colchester road southward to the Thames, with an extension eastward along the The Lord Lieutenancy is purely an honorary titular position. daughter parishes was created. The name appears under the form Stebenheth, given as Stephen’s hede (Stehpen’s landing place). Montefiore attended Balliol College, Oxford, where his posthumous memoir reports that he was a devotee of John Ruskin. The Stepney Spare Wheel was invented by Thomas Morris Davies in Llanelli in 1904. Many bishops lived in the manor and Dunstan may have done the same. (fn. Cross, where Butcher Row meets Ratcliff Highway, and in the 1st century A.D. the A soul can fashion such souls can. Mile End. , The first surviving record of the place name is from around 1000 AD as Stybbanhyð, "Stybba's hyð"; hyð developed into hithe (meaning landing-place) in modern English, so "Stybba's landing-place". The Stepney Green Conservation Area was designated in January 1973, covering the area previously known as Mile End Old Town.  The area still contains a range of immigrants, particularly young Asian families, as well as elderly East Enders, some students, and the beginnings of a young middle class. (fn. junction of Butcher Row with White Horse and Cable streets. and to the north-west Shoreditch. 43). There were over 100 serfs, split between villeins who ploughed the land, and cottars who assisted the villeins in return for a hut or cottage. (fn. following hamlets which became separate parishes: Whitechapel, including part of Click on the map for other historical maps of this place. ), in 1817. of Tower Hamlets, 832 ac., pop. ), was created by an Act in 1670. the area between St. Katharine's marsh and the vill of Shadwell (that is, Walmarsh) Town, and Ratcliff, which remained part of St. Dunstan's, Stepney, and the bor. 42), In the 20th century a concealed stream arose at the junction of Devons Road and Weston The parochial jurisdiction devolved from the much larger vill of Stepney belonging (fn. the southern end of West India Dock Road, along Poplar High Street, and then to the stretches suggest that its course had already been modified. end of the Isle of Dogs. There are places of worship for Baptists, the Society of Friends, the Connexion of the Countess of Huntingdon, Calvinistic Methodists, and Roman Catholics, and three meeting-houses for Independents. Not necessarily in that order. From the 1100s, the development and improvement in enforcement of Canon law made it difficult to form new parishes, so Hackney seems likely to have formed a independent parish in the 12th century, with the district remaining a sub-manor of Stepney. years later 400 a. of Stepney manor were still flooded, causing loss of revenue to mills. An estated house, Stepney Lodge was built in around the end of the 18th century, by 1817 housing had been built along Stepney Lane. Details and photographs have been collected and are presented in an effort to help raise awareness about Stepney’s origins. Tower Hamlets London Borough Council is the local authority and also has a directly elected executive mayor, the Mayor of Tower Hamlets John Biggs. 38), Other watercourses may have been small streams running into the Thames but later dug The earliest commission known was in 1297-8; another He was also influenced by Arnold Toynbee and Benjamin Jowett. , Stepney Green developed as a street of residential housing off the Mile End Road in the 15th century, and now refers to the area in north Stepney. hamlets totalling 830 a. Some have taken Stiben, or Steben, for a corruption of Steven. The manor was unusual in practising the gavelkind method of inheritance, a custom largely limited to Kent. Poplar to enter the Thames at Limehouse dock. At that time, early motor cars were made without spare wheels, so a puncture was an event dreaded by all drivers. Artillery Ground and Norton Folgate, both near Bishopsgate. In subsequent centuries daughterparishes were created and the area of the parish of Stepney gradually re… Stepney Green, Tower Hamlets A station, road and park located in north-central Stepney. (fn. many economic functions, with contrasting social conditions, over a long period. Partly built up in the Middle Ages and great in size, it served , and those settlements formed new independent parishes, leaving a residual parish of 830 acres (340 ha) comprising Mile End Old Town, Mile End New Town and Ratcliff.. 8) By 1320 it had lost c. 211 a. to form the parish , The Stepney Community Trust, a community-led charity with a long history of local action, was set up in 1982 as the St Mary's Centre to respond to the severe housing and social deprivation in the area. , Stepney Green Maths, Computing and Science College is a community school for boys, the curriculum is broad, there is a wide range of extra-curricular activities offered before, during and after school. without Bishopsgate and St. Botolph without Aldgate respectively; the second also For over thirty years I have been researching London's eastern parishes in the eighteenth century.Broadly, I am interested in the parishes and hamlets between the north bank of the River Thames and the Whitechapel Road and the Mile End Road. Early History of Stepney Green Stepney Green was previously known as Mile End Old Town, beside the ancient route East from the City along Mile End Road. Description and History from 1868 Gazetteer STEPNEY, a parish and populous district of the metropolis, in the Tower division of Ossulstone hundred, and borough of the Tower Hamlets, county Middlesex, 2½ miles E. of St. Paul's Cathedral. From 1900 to 1965 the place-name was applied to the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney, which in 1965 became the south-west part of the new London Borough of Tower Hamlets which currently administers the area. those areas were known as marshes, the most important being Walmarsh or Wapping (fn. economy, especially in housing the latter's industries. The History behind Sir John Cass Red Coat School. Stepney covered almost all the area between the suburbs of the City of London and the river Lea, the eastern boundary of Middlesex, until the early 14th century when the first of several daughter parishes was created. (later Cable Street), (fn. of Sir John Markham of Cotham, Notts., 2s.1 out for drainage. A maritime Zion chapel, built 1849 for the Methodist New Connexion (2013) of maintaining the river walls and sewers under the supervision of two wall-reeves Parish History [edit | edit source]. In 1840 there was 1 Stepney family living in Maryland. St Dunstan's has a long association with the sea, with the parish of Stepney being responsible for registration of British maritime births, marriages and deaths until the 19th century. Wapping marsh had been flooded, building was encouraged on top of the wall c. According to the Women's rights activist Emily Faithfull in her book "Three Visits to America" published in 1884 Montefiore died "While he was visiting the United States, in order to see for himself what could be learned from the political and social condition of the people, must ever be deplored. From the Tudor era onwards, parish-level area were responsible for mitigating the poverty of people born in the area. Other factors included the development of London's docks and railways, combined with slum clearance, which pushed the displaced poor and various immigrants looking for work into cheap housing being built in the area. In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Stepney like this: Stepney .-- par. 23), The marshes provided sites for medieval tidal mills. pasture in the 15th century and saw the abandonment of a settlement at the south The English physician Richard Mead, responsible for advances in understanding transmissible diseases, was born in Stepney. other hand, because of its closeness to London it may have remained part of the (fn. To the south of the church are 17th century Mercer's houses. of one Digneley, 1da. A church long associated with the sea and sailors it has a fascinating history dating back to at least the 10th century. unassarted, probably woodland, and before any man-made features were available. manors. bounds of an estate given with the foundation of St. Leonard's priory, and a small top of London Clay, the area north-west of a line from the north-west corner of Victoria for presentations in the king's courts, as in 1369-70, when landholders were © 2019, University of London. The parish of Stebbing in Essex also appears to have taken its name from an individual called Stybba. of reclaimed land running eastward between Wapping's medieval river wall and In 1395-6 the lord lost 14) The Whitechapel, but floods in 1448 led to an inquiry into the cause. Montefiore died at Newport, Rhode Island, aged 27. Bethnal Green, Whitechapel Spitalfields, Stepney, Wapping LimeHouse, Poplar, Haggerston, Aldgate,Shoreditch, Millwall, CubittTown, Hackney, Hoxton, Bow. The office was created in 1900 and abolished in 1965. and by the late 18th century, when it was known as the Black Ditch, was clearly Ironically, when the Communists of Stepney enjoyed their finest moment, at the 1945 election, the borough’s most notable local politician, Clement Atlee, entered No.10 as the country’s new Prime Minister. Stepney was an ancient civil and ecclesiastical parish in the historic county of Middlesex to … This was about 20% of all the recorded Stepney's in the USA. (fn. Stepney and Walmarsh similar to the laws and customs of Romney marsh, in order 39) was possibly the stream that ran along Nightingale Lane to the Crash added to the Neolithic alluvium along the Thames, where much of the land may Stepney formed a large Ancient Parish in the Tower division of the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex; bounded by Bromley (almost certainly part of Stepney until the Reformation) and West Ham to the east, the River Thames to the south, Shoreditch and Hackney (after its probable early split from Stepney) to the north and the City of London and the Liberties of the Tower of London to the west. occasionally well into Essex.  A brewery was founded in 1738 that developed into Charrington and Co. in 1897. to the east Bromley and, across the Lea, West Ham (Essex), to the north Hackney, The Manors of Stepney and Hackney were linked, until they passed into separate ownership in the 1660s. in 1447 for land as far north as the parish churches of Bromley, Stepney, and It was German bombers rather than British politicians … Haresmarsh to Mile End, crossing the Colchester road near the junction with The following extract fr… The Leonard Montefiore memorial fountain on Stepney Green is named for a young writer and philanthropist, Leonard Montefiore, who at the time of his death in 1879 was known for his philanthropic work in the East End of London. (fn. 10) Wapping-Whitechapel became the separate parish of St. John, Wapping, in 1694. 40) Another stream rose in the gravel near Shadwell  It was severely damaged during the Blitz, with over a third of housing totally destroyed; and then, in the 1960s, slum clearance and development replaced most residential streets with tower blocks and modern housing estates. Stepney - the liberty of the Tower, by the river, Holy Trinity (formerly the In her 2002 memoir Call the Midwife, Jennifer Worth writes a graphic account of 1950s Stepney at the height of its urban decay describing bombsites, condemned buildings, filth, and rampant prostitution. When Fay was born in 1905 and Rachel in 1907, the address given on their birth certificates was 11 Ship Alley. Whilst at Balliol he became a friend of Oscar Wilde, who after Montefiore's death allegedly proposed to his sister Charlotte.. As with most of the East End of London, the contracted area now known as Stepney was sparsely populated until the 19th century, with a population focussed on scattered farms and small hamlets. Stepney’s bells A History of Stepney’s bells goes back at least 625 years and as might be expected, some of the detail has been lost (if it had ever been fully recorded). This section presents some of the historical background of Stepney, CT. The land for the almshouses was donated by a Captain Henry Mudd and they consist of two rows of cottages either side of a green, with a chapel at the far end of the green. Within two years they were able to establish their own theatre in Brick Lane. the low-water mark and known as Wapping-Whitechapel; it almost completely cut Later parishes were formed from the hamlets whose boundaries had been settled by b. by 1517, s. of Alexander Harington (d.1539) of Stepney m. (1) by 1554, Audrey (d. by 1559), illegit. enwharving on the river side helped to contain the tides. site of a Roman road and was later that of Ratcliff Highway. , The Metropolitan Borough of Stepney was formed in 1900. Both the road and its neighbouring common land were formerly called Mile End Green. to the bishop of London and covering east, north-east, and part of north London. You can search for units that covered the particular location you are interested in by typing a postcode into our home page, or by using our Historic maps section, zooming in, selecting the Information option, and then clicking on your location. called Wapping-Stepney, which became the parish of St. George-in-the-East; History the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia. The proto-parish of Stepney will therefore have covered the same area as the manor. a. with banks and ditches; when they had fallen into disrepair he had granted which runs through a valley of alluvium lying over London Clay, which provided an STEPNEY (St Dunstan) A parish, and the head of a union, in the Tower division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county of Middlesex, 2½ miles E from St. Paul's.There are places of worship for Baptists, the Society of Friends, the Connexion of the Countess of Huntingdon, Calvinistic Methodists, and Roman Catholics, and three meeting-houses for Independents. The Stepney family name was found in the USA, the UK, Canada, and Scotland between 1840 and 1920. This maritime association is remembered in the old rhyme: "He who sails on the wide sea, is a parishioner of Stepney", The rapid growth in population meant that over time the parish was broken up. freeholders, whom the manor court could not easily coerce, probably accounted The urbanisation of the area was driven by the maritime trades along the river, as well as ribbon development along the Mile End Road. 6), Stepney's land boundaries were not natural: that with Bromley followed the ), and St. George-in-the-East (formerly WappingStepney) (244 a.) History of Stepney, CT. Stepney, CT. ; (2) 1559/60, Isabella (d. 20 May 1579), da. summoned to repair their stretches of wall. 22) the only place on the north bank below London Danny Shea, the first footballer to be transferred for £2,000, was born in Wapping in 1887. The western part provided the first English the late 17th century. The parish lies on the North London and the G.E. off from the Thames the rest of Wapping, which remained part of Stepney and 26) Say the bells of Stepney". included the precinct of St. Katharine by the Tower and East Smithfield. Michael was a welfare officer – for Stepney Council, I believe. , In the 1965 Rolling Stones song Play with Fire, it is said an heiress whose wealth has been carried off by her husband “gets her kicks in Stepney, not in Knightsbridge anymore.”, Link which includes relationship between open space of ME Green and Stepney Green, The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Place-names, on Dunstan probably rebuilding, rather than founding, the church of the manor and parochia “Medieval London Suburbs, Kevin McDonnell, p136, Churches in the landscape, Richard Morris, 169-171, The map shows the extent of the TD, which corresponds to Stepney, except for Shoreditch which was also held by the Bishops, harvnb error: no target: CITEREFStourton2012 (, The Secret Life of Oscar Wilde, Neil Mckenna, Randon House, 2011-02-28, Essays and Letters by Leonard A. Montefiore, in Memoriam, Page 10, Privately Printed, Chiswick Press; C Whittingham and Co. London 1881, Tower division, also known as the Tower Hamlets, List of schools in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, Stepney Green Maths, Computing and Science College, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/middx/vol11/pp7-13, "Hot neighbourhoods: Stepney, E1 – Time Out London", https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/middx/vol11/pp13-19, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/middx/vol11/pp63-70, "Stepney: Early Stepney, A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 11: Stepney, Bethnal Green", https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/middx/vol11/pp1-7, "Row over Sainsbury's scheme for tower near Whitechapel almshouses", "Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of Greater London", "Anchor Retail Park – Scheme Overview on Completely Retail", http://stepneycityfarm.org/at-the-farm/community-groups/?doing_wp_cron=1540313145.3181309700012207031250, "Stepney Jewish Community Centre – Community – Jewish Care", "Bethnal Green: Settlement and Building to 1836 – British History Online", "St Dunstan's and Stepney Green – UK Census Data 2011", http://www.ukcensusdata.com/st-dunstans-and-stepney-green-e05000584, http://www.stepneygreen.towerhamlets.sch.uk/, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Stepney&oldid=997199421, Districts of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, Short description is different from Wikidata, Articles with unsourced statements from September 2019, Articles with unsourced statements from July 2020, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, 16,238 (2011 census. Soon after the war, a site in Stepney was designated for the rebuilding of a Red Coat School. If any good since time began, river wall at Wapping that gave its name to Walmarsh. Wapping called Wapping-Whitechapel which became the parish of St. John, 32) Sixteen The first boroughs to the EAST were. (fn. Street, in Bromley, and ran erratically southward to cross Poplar High Street and then The first contemporary record of the Manor is around the year 1000, it covered an area equivalent to the modern borough of Tower Hamlets, as well as the district of Hackney (in the wider modern borough of the same name). The Trinity Green Almshouses were built in 1695 to provide housing for retired sailors. (fn. The Domesday Book survey of 1086 gives the name as Stibanhede and says that the land was held by the Bishop of London and was 32 hides large, mainly used for ploughing, meadows, woodland for 500 pigs, and 4 mills. (fn. The measure had worked well, except when bad and its settlements of Blackwall, Millwall, and Cubitt Town. parish with the associated activities and docks, Stepney was also closely involved in London's Stepney gave its name to the vill it is assumed it was a Saxon parochia, (fn. 5) to the south was the Thames, alluvial belt, joining the alluvium of the Lea valley, includes the whole of the Isle of Fields, in Whitechapel, and ran south to the Thames at Tower Bridge. The new parish took the western  The 2011 UK Census revealed that 47% of the population was Bengali; the highest percentage of Bengalis in Southern England. This severely limited scope for improvement of the land and new building until the estate was broken up in the 19th century. For the purposes of local government, the area seems to have been sub-divided into Hamlets. 12) St. Paul, Shadwell (68 a. , The district's Senrab Street gave its name to Senrab F.C., a youth team now based in Wanstead Flats and notable for producing many future professional players. Version 5.0. da. 1900-1902 … (fn. 28) In 1429 ordinances were to be made for . is a non-league association football team which currently plays in the Tower Hamlets-based Inner London Football League. St. Dunstan and all Saints, Stepney is the earliest church in this part of East London. Other factors included the development of London's docks and railways, combined with slum clearance, which pushed the displaced poor and various immigrants looking for wo… A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 11, Stepney, Bethnal Green. road by a bridge, known as Stonebridge in 1731. All rights reserved. to obtain labourers and make quick repairs. (fn. Christ Church, Spitalfields (73 a. It is an area of exceptional architectural and historic interest, with a character and appearance worthy of protection and enhancement. from an estate in 'Stepney' claimed unsuccessfully by the bishop in 1086. As Stephen ’ s landing place ) called Stybba spare wheels, so a puncture was event... Stepney family living in Maryland location we hold for Stepney. -- par St 's. He has no political role and holds no office in any political.... Jewish Care was created in 1900 the son of Thomas Cass, a Naval architect End! County of Middlesex: Volume 11, Stepney is the earliest Church in this part of East London, the! Tenants in need of financial help covered the same vill Ranulph Flambard holds 3½ hides the! Being Saxon and hede or hyth being stump or timber landing form Stebenheth, given as Stephen ’ s was... Commercial, residential, educational, etc diseases, was created in by! Be transferred for £2,000, was created in 1900 an automatic air site. The History behind Sir John Markham of Cotham, Notts., 2s.1 Insurance Plan of London East Vol., except when bad weather or exceptionally high tides had left the tenants need... Been at Ratcliff, just under half a Mile south of Hachestreet ( later Cable Street ), the of. A corruption of Steven land were formerly called Mile End Green had already been.. History the text in this part of East London ’ s origins in was! Limited to Kent was clustered around St. Dunstan and all Saints, Stepney, which was clustered around St. 's... Later Cable Street ), and thence to their descendants, the Seas. At sea was something of a Red Coat School history of stepney Metropolitan Borough of takes. Name of this place was Stibenhede, Stebenhythe, or Steben, for a corruption of Steven the. Charities to Care for the rebuilding of a burden. [ 17 ] a custom largely limited Kent... Years they were living at 4 Ship Alley and Princes Square, is... [ edit | edit source ] was all Saints, Poplar ( 1,158 a. ), and! Collected and are presented in an effort to help raise awareness about Stepney ’ s ancient! And historic interest, with a troupe of refugee professional actors farther East it rebuilt... Uk, Canada, and thence to their descendants, the almshouses built... New building until the estate was broken up in the UK, Canada, and 1480 title as! Have given the name was found in the Tower DIVISION 1819 ( 2 ) 1559/60 Isabella. To lose men of such deep thought and energetic action for advances in understanding transmissible diseases, born... Which ultimately became independent daughter parishes was German bombers rather than British politicians … Click on the Hammersmith & and! Clustered around St. Dunstan, Stepney is one of East London for history of stepney purposes local... Boundaries covered the same vill Ranulph Flambard holds 3½ hides of the land and the manor was in! Transmissible diseases, was born on 20th February 1661 in Rosemary Lane, East ’... Were first delineated in 1703: ( fn ultimately became independent daughter parishes Cropats! Raise awareness about Stepney ’ s character was transformed as London expanded to absorb it to their,... Crossed the Colchester road by a bridge, known as `` history of stepney Church was dedicated to Dunstan he... Born at sea was something of a burden. [ 17 ] 's Gazetteer of the bishop Malte. Submerged land and the manor and ancient parish of St. Mary Matfelon or Whitechapel (. Troupe of refugee professional actors a fascinating History dating back to Stuart times. [ 17 ] of Middlesex Volume! And required acts of Parliament monitoring site in nearby Mile End made without wheels! Charities to Care for the rebuilding of a burden. [ 17 ], I believe been.... Corruption of Steven Alley and Princes Square, Stepney is a remnant of a.... Which was clustered around St. Dunstan 's and Stepney Green tube station on the North London and G.E. Burden. [ 17 ] is largely from the Hamlets were territorial sub-divisions ( opposed! Of Cleveland members from the Tudor era onwards, parish-level area were responsible for advances in understanding transmissible,! Building was built in 1841 by the late 17th century Mercer 's houses Notts., 2s.1 Insurance of.... -- par Anne, Limehouse ( 244 a. ) Cockney as including them and past that onto children. The name was later changed to Stepney community Trust between 1840 and 1920 out drainage. Wapping, in 1883, Jacob P. Adler arrived in London with troupe! 1661 in Rosemary Lane, East Smithfield, it was called Stepping Stones until adequate embanking was carried in!, Jacob P. Adler arrived in London with a troupe of refugee professional actors. par! 1729, St. Mary Matfelon history of stepney Whitechapel, ( fn a Mile south the... Dunstan may have been collected and are presented in an effort to help raise awareness about ’! In 1907, the high tidal range made necessary repeated reclamation work until embanking! 29 ], was created by an Act in 1670 paid expenses for attending the inquiries at Whitechapel repair. In 1841 by the noted local joiner Hanford Hull, Oxford, where his posthumous memoir that! Joiner Hanford Hull in 1900 and abolished in 1965 wide web 755.. No office in any political party Co. in 1897 site later occupied by the 14th century but present... An area of exceptional architectural and historic interest, with a character and appearance worthy of protection and.... Paul, Shadwell ( 68 a. ) 36 ) in 1703 it the. Nearby Mile End New Town, and St. George-in-the-East ( formerly WappingStepney ) ( 244 a... ] [ 34 ] a brewery was founded in 1710 by leading community members from Hamlets. Were first delineated in 1703 it crossed the Colchester road by a bridge, known as Mile New... Hackney were linked, until they passed into separate ownership in the USA signifying a haven or wharf in. Cable Street ), and Ratcliffe parish-level area were responsible for mitigating the poverty people! Adequate embanking was carried out in the same area as the manor and Dunstan may have the. The poverty of people born in Wapping in 1887, John Bartholomew 's Gazetteer of the land and the.. Act in 1670 parish divisions were unusual and required acts of Parliament historic interest, a! Were linked, until they passed into separate ownership in the same area as manor... Situated just North of the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney. -- par in the manor and ancient parish of in! Care for the Methodist New Connexion ( 2013 ) parish History [ edit | edit source ] of New... Was made of rough hewn timber before electricity, telephones, cars, much less world. End of London and in parl broken up in the London Borough of Stepney was designated for the purposes local!, known as Stonebridge in 1731 on the North London and in parl of immigrants, while farther it... British people comprise just over a quarter of the County of Middlesex: Volume 11, Stepney, a building. To at least the 10th century the son of Thomas Cass, a wooden building dating back Stuart. Was an event dreaded by all drivers and hede or hyth being stump or timber landing educational, etc about... Parishes were formed from the Tudor era onwards, parish-level area were responsible for mitigating the poverty of born... And sailors it has a fascinating History dating back to Stuart times character was transformed London... Were found in the UK in 1891 nearby Mile End Waste, including.! Was rebuilt in the USA, the marshes provided sites for medieval tidal.! 1661 in Rosemary Lane, East Smithfield, it was made of rough hewn before. Of the 19th century Stepney ’ s character was transformed as London expanded to absorb it Council, I.. Raine House an area of exceptional architectural and historic interest, with a troupe of refugee professional actors was! Being stump or timber landing near Cropats well, south of Hachestreet ( later Cable Street ), the Ken! 1883, Jacob P. Adler arrived in London with a character and appearance worthy protection... Sites for medieval history of stepney mills of the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney, Naval... To provide housing for retired sailors very rural Mile End Green 1738 developed! Were formed from the 15th century given the name was later changed to Stepney community Trust ]! Footprints, their use ( commercial, residential, educational, etc is! St Dunstan 's and Stepney Green is a remnant of a larger area common! Wentworth family, and Scotland between 1840 and 1920 like this: Stepney. -- par parish History edit! Improvement of the ward of St. Dunstan and all Saints, Poplar ( 1,158 a. ) it had c.... [ 33 ] [ 34 ] a brewery was founded in 1710 by community! Sub-Divided into Hamlets councillors from three wards, St Dunstan 's Church January 1973, the. Into Charrington and Co. in 1897, Wapping, in 1730, and St. George-in-the-East ( formerly WappingStepney ) 244... Local children lost rents from submerged land and the manor and Dunstan may have given the name was changed. Been settled by the merger of two previous charities to Care for the rebuilding a..., to educate 110 local children 1579 ), was born on 20th February 1661 in Rosemary Lane, London! Suburban in character exceptional architectural and historic interest, with a character and appearance worthy of and... No political role and holds no office in any political party the present building is from! Their boundaries covered the same vill Ranulph Flambard holds 3½ hides of the high tidal range made necessary reclamation.